Tuesday, February 20, 2007

memoirs of japan

Japan was everything we thought it would be and more. A tiny country filled with countless people, everyone walking somewhere, staring straight ahead, determined not to falter in the race of life. Faces were beautiful, fashion was unfathomable, and the sights were breathtaking. Osaka Castle (Osaka-Jo) was a child’s playground for Trenton, who thrives on history; the cherry blossom orchard outlining the castle gave Emily immense joy. One day was spent visiting the castle, then subwaying across Osaka to see the aquarium – a gigantic land of penguins and funny looking fish.

That evening we bought a digital camera (challenge: decipher which of these pictures were taken by our old video camera, and which by our new “Canon”)… The next day we took the train (JR Railway) to Kyoto, the former capitol of Japan, which met us with open branches and glorious spring freshness. We toured one of the prettiest temples, watched hundreds of tourists drink spring water from “holy bowls”, mourned a bit for those worshiping the Buddha (we pray they would know the living God) and delighted in the cobblestone, pottery-lined streets that reminded us all too well of Europe.

Meals throughout our short stay included a visit to a small local restaurant, where two drunken men blew kisses at us. I ate tempura (battered veggies) while Trent had meat on a stick. We also visited an expansive food market one evening, and tried spring rolls and cheese balls; as well, we partook in some “Sake” (Japanese alcohol) and dried squid. One of these pictures portrays Trenton holding Octopus balls… they were alright, for octopus I suppose. Trenton got a bit squeamish. Don’t tell him I told you that. We stayed in a cheap, Japanese style room downtown, where the beds rolled out and the floors were covered in bamboo. I snuck a shot of a Japanese man asleep in the subway, and of a lovely old gentleman taking photos of the blossoms.

All in all, these three days were stuffed full of delicious experiences and unexplainable delights. There were still so many glimpses of sadness, so many heart-tearing moments where you want to help people but aren’t sure how… I don’t know that we’ll ever escape that until Heaven, but we ourselves were helped out by so many Osaka residents our faith in humankind was restored and our spirits lifted.

(PS. After reading this blog, Trenton insists I tell you he ate FIVE octopus balls, while I only ate three. Touche Trenton. However, I managed to keep them all down, lol.)










8 Comments:

Blogger Ryan & Melanie said...

Em, those are some sweet pictures! Japan is such a neat place isn't it:) Well, I am proud of you for keeping those octopus balls down;)...way to go trent as well;)

hmm...my guess is that the crystal clear pics were taken by your new camera:) Yeah for good cameras:)

Glad that you were able to experience that together.

love, Mel

7:01 AM  
Blogger J Man said...

I like your new fashion in the last pic - how much do you think it would cost to send one of those outfits to Edmonton? I have an important dinner function to attend in a couple months, and that would be perfect! Forget the tux!

7:44 AM  
Blogger .a. said...

AMAZING!!!
I love the photos, so neat to bring to life for all of us overseas what you are experiencing... but octopus balls ? I just don't know about those two words in the same phrase...you should write fear factor about them.
So good to see you are doing well, LOVE good cameras! You'll treasure it. Japan looks beautiful -- we had Sake (it's pronounced "Sockie" right?) when we went for sushi last time -- it was actually pretty good, but you can't have too much at once... =) it's pretty potent ...
anyways, so glad that you guys made it back! Love you both, talk to you soon,
A.

8:16 AM  
Blogger Jelly Beans Gurl said...

I love the last picture! It reminds me of all the times we did that on family holidays. And GROSS! Yick! I couldn't have ate the octopus balls either. The very thought...I don't want to think about it.
Rob and Shaun tried Sake too, when we went to Japanese village. Its pretty strong. Tesh and I tried some sips, but you can guess our response!
Your new short haircut reminded me of something I wanted to tell you that I thought was pretty cool. We had about 30 students and 3 teachers shave their heads for St. Valentines Hair Masacre Day, which raised money for cancer. Before they shaved their heads they dyed their hair all pink. It was pretty cool. They all look the same from behind now, which can get a bit confusing though! I guess all in all, in this area they raised over half a million dollars!
Looks like you had fun in Japan! Very cool. Love you both!

4:16 PM  
Blogger Keith Dow said...

I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT YOUR NEW CAMERA!!!!

now you just need to use picasaweb and upload to 6.5 gb of space so that I can download all your photos easily and you can download ours (and Meredith's and dad's) easily. okay? okay. it's a deal. (it's only $25 a year!)

oh, and I would've eaten 25 octopus balls. and kept them down.

8:52 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey guys,

i love your pics! It sounds like your expereince was similar to ours but a little different too. I love your perspective Em, makes me want to travel everywhere with you. Someday and soon. YAY!!

take care,

Love you!
Sacha

ps. I would have gotten squirmish too Trenton...heehee...but maybe not have eaten so many either...you are brave!

5:19 AM  
Blogger anomi said...

wow i love that first photo, what a beautiful shot. I should try to remember that Korea can look as good as that too. sigh.

9:47 PM  
Blogger pink monkey said...

Sweet pictures !! Seeing and enjoying new things is such a wonderful thing. As as for the octupus balls .. well, what can I say .. you guys are a couple of "suckers" for punishment. Ychhh. I can just see those little suckers going down your throat. Not my idea of a good time.

What precious pictures of the two of you. What a marvelous mini vacation. Nice for you to have a good Canon camera. We have one too.

Have a blessed week and enjoy being back to reality after time out.

Love ya,
Auntie D. and family

8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home