Friday, January 19, 2007

grace's gift

i have a student named grace... she gave me a gift the other day. the gift of a storybook about her hamster.

grace is no ordinary girl. she has a huge smile and intense eyes, and her hair is brown and always done up in cute bows. her mother takes pride in her, but grace is always nervous. timid like a mouse.

when someone shows interest in her, she thrives on it. it's obvious her mother puts pressure on her to excel.

i love grace. i love her quirky sense of humor. she is so easily distracted, always asking questions, always in her dreamland. yet she's the one who brings me gifts... one day it was an egg with some salt; the other day it was this storybook.

God shows up in these gifts. he gives me a piece of 'grace' with such gestures. i hope you have these people in your life. we all need them. especially on dark days...

grace is moving to seoul. i will miss her big smile and quirky spirit deeply. i praise God for his gift of grace.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ryan & Melanie said...

Hey Em,

This is beautifully written! Grace seems like such a special girl. And you are right, we are all in need of grace.

The picture she drew made me smile. Kids are so sweet, open and honest:) I am sure Grace is blessed by your love.

love you! Mel

1:45 PM  
Blogger .a. said...

Hey guys!
Super CUTE!! I love the fact that she took the time to write a whole story -- that's great =)

Let's hope there's not alot of 'dark-days' ... but more grace than we can imagine.
Love you!
A.

11:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice! I'm glad you have that student that makes a difference in your day..your life. It definitely makes livin in this crazy country better..take care Em. Hope you find another student that makes your day for the rest of your time here.
Love,
Sacha

6:09 AM  
Blogger Jelly Beans Gurl said...

I'm sorry to hear that a special student is moving. Being a teacher myself, I understand how easy it is to get attatched to your students. I'm sure you made a big difference in her life as well. I love teaching elementary because I always get pictures...and they are usually pictures of me! haha. Kids trying to draw my hair is always good for a laugh.
ps. I have an interview on Monday at 1:00 for the Morinville job! Pray for me. Love you both.

10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home