Thursday, November 30, 2006

what's the point?

(em's ramblings)
don't get me wrong. there are moments when i really enjoy life. like when my husband has me pinned down laughing so hard tears are dripping ... or when i see a really cute, chubby baby smiling at me. moments like those.

but that's not enough to keep me going. there has to be a point to all of this running around, earning money, spending it then worrying about how to get more. there has to be a reason we're here.

for me, that point is found in being a creation of God. but i've known i am His for my whole life. that isn't enough anymore. i want more. perhaps this is selfish, but i want to know Him as much as humanly possible... because otherwise, i'll feel i've missed the point.

i don't want to just say i love Jesus, like a girl on 'spiritual' ecstacy who thinks she's in love but is really just high. i want to truly love. i want to shatter this shell of selfish pride and step out into the gutter of humility. not for myself. for others. for my husband and my friends. that i might learn to truly love.

that, i believe, is the whole point of this crazy thing called life.

6 Comments:

Blogger Ryan & Melanie said...

em,
thanks so much for writing that. Yes, learning how to love, truly love God and man...that is the point. I guess that is what Christ said, "Love the Lord your God with all of your heart, soul, and mind and your neighbour as yourself"...let's pray that for each other--that the Lord would increase the love in our hearts.

thanks for challenging me this morning:)

love, Mel

5:57 AM  
Blogger Billy said...

I must say that you are a courageous woman. To make yourself vulnerable like that, wow. I am a scaredy cat, unfortunately. I may seem bold through some of my writing, but I am not. I truly look up to you and you are such an inspiration.

7:08 AM  
Blogger J Man said...

I believe that the journey of life is the point. Honestly, I almost totally disagree with people who say that the reason for "accepting Jesus" is to get to Heaven... how cheap is that?!
Yes, I totally agree with you, Emily, that the whole reason for life is to grow in Love; to grow closer to the One who created us, and is calling us to fully realize His Image.

Have a blessed journey!

11:30 AM  
Blogger Kathys Blog said...

That was beautifully written. I have no words of wisdom for you. It seems to me that what you desire and what you seek leads to what you find. Logically, then, you are on the right path.

11:55 AM  
Blogger .a. said...

AGREED --
easier said than done, and can be a dangerous prayer, the best kind =)
Love you, and I will pray too,
miss you,
((((((HUGS))))))))
A.

5:05 PM  
Blogger Ernest Dow said...

Ma Dow says hi and miss you -- this is the Emily we know and love. Thanks for your deeper thoughts can't wait to have you and Keith,philosopher brother, be able to discuss the varied topics you bring up in these blogs --like this one being so completely different from the next entry.
love you - have lots to talk about with you but always seems to be the wrong timing for one or other of us.

7:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home