Friday, November 10, 2006

'Peppero' Day


i love korea's 'mini' excuses for holidays. they may not hail Halloween (something i don't have a problem with) but they celebrate everything else: children, parents, sports, and, just because they can -- a cookie called "pocky". they've named this day: "Peppero." the cookie is a wafer-long stick dipped in chocolate. and what date does this fall upon? tomorrow -- november 11. why? perhaps because the sticks look like the number 1. perhaps because 'pocky' manufacterers were desperate to 'up' the sales of this flavourful cookie. whatever the case, my students gifted me today with a beautifully wrapped cylinder of pocky cookies; and i'm not complaining. life should be saturated with reasons for celebration!

7 Comments:

Blogger Keith Dow said...

I enjoyed this post a lot, Emily. It was short but SWEET. Get it? Hahahahahahahahahaha. I agree that we should snatch any reason for celebration. We have so many things to celebrate, life should be one big celebration. Haloween is such a horrible thing to commemorate, when there are so many beautiful things to celebrate.

8:43 AM  
Blogger Jen Galicinski said...

ah peppero day...one of my favourites....mostly because i get TONS of pepperos from my kids, and they know me well enough to know i like the ones with almonds....mmmm...so i'm not complaining....though when i onced asked "why?" last year, my director told me its because they wish for you to be tall and skinny, like a peppero...the only problem is, i will be NOTHING of the sort after i eat them all!!! oh korea, very logical... :)

glad you guys joined our group!

11:55 AM  
Blogger Jelly Beans Gurl said...

Sounds interesting. You should send some pepperos home with Mom so we can have a peppero day. I agree with the not missing of Halloween. I hate Halloween. Luckily it is mostly a one day thing. I mean its fun to dress up, but it just seems to get creepier every year. Who needs that? A celebration of things creepy and evil? Not me. I would rather celebrate a joyful occasion with a good peppero!

1:04 PM  
Blogger J Man said...

Remember our fallen soldiers as you enjoy your Pocky tomorrow - many brave men & women faught and died so that you can enjoy your Pocky.

1:27 PM  
Blogger .a. said...

I think Pocky is a rather curious name for candy....but then, maybe candy is a curious name for pocky.... whatever the deal, enjoy the sweets!!! we have our huge sale tomorrow !! (it will be a late night..and a longer day) Don't eat too much and get sick in the tummy, hey do they have fuzzie peaches???? =) Love. A

4:56 PM  
Blogger Ryan & Melanie said...

I remember eating pocky in Japan! Enjoy them--they are yummy;) Happy rememberance day!

love, Mel

1:27 PM  
Blogger Billy said...

I grew up eating those sticks. Yummy! Thanks for the great memory.

7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home