Wednesday, November 08, 2006

family


an unfolding, brilliant, fragrant flower... family.

some days i hog solitary space. i isolate myself, becoming a sole observer of the human species.

other days i chase after human embrace. a selfish-bred woman i give when i want and take what i need. how many silent tears have been shed on account of my withdrawal? my silence?

should i always be offering of myself? when is it okay to be alone?

for this very reason, the concept of family has always slightly eluded me. like a beautiful flower out of reach. one i'm not sure i want to uproot -- i just like to look at it. for once it's uprooted, it starts to fade. yet perhaps i need to 'pluck' the chance.

it's a pain i don't necessarily want to feel. a need i don't want to admit. but deep down, i am nothing without it. for the sake of myself, and for the sake of my mother, my father, my sisters and my brother, i need to pick the flower and smell it deeply.

like Jesus said, we have to die to ourselves. perhaps, in plucking the flower, and in letting it fade, we are truly becoming what Christ desires. others-focused. self-avoiding.

(emily)

5 Comments:

Blogger Ernest Dow said...

I too understand the need for personal 'away time'; I've felt in the past it's been OK for me to 'hog solitary space' - at least for a while. Fathering / husbanding / pastoring all stretch me (healthily) to get out of myself. But I do need solo crash time as well.
Thanks for sharing!

5:01 AM  
Blogger Keith Dow said...

i like flowers. but i like family as well. why don't we just grow a big flower garden together and then you can sit by it and read when we're not around? okay-dokay?

10:07 AM  
Blogger Ryan & Melanie said...

thank you for speaking to my heart with that writing! I too can isolate myself at times, and then realize that I am wanting, aching for fellowship. But those moments of "alone time" are refreshing and needed as well. well written!
mel

10:23 AM  
Blogger meredow said...

While picking the flower requires of stooping down of one's self, out from the petals sweep a glorious refreshing scent of love and peace. I pray that as your family, we will bring not a stinging stench but an alluring fragrance to your life!

7:36 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Em,

Just want to say...I understand. Refresh yourself by the waters of love and run free as you desire. so at the end of the day you can say..I gave what I could through God's strength. Jesus always balanced between solace and giving to others. may you feel that same balance at this time.

Love ya!

Sacha

3:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home