Sunday, October 01, 2006

autumn is falling ...

upon wonju, with gigantic red and orange leaves. we tried to capture some of the magic via our poor digital camera. this weekend was a potpourri of happenings; a restful time, spent roaming wonju, digging into its cultural corners and naturistic knooks.

friday night we went with two other couples to a local pub, where we drank soju and ate dried squid and minnows. a young korean man lost a bet to his friends and was forced to come 'dance' for us. the entire pub got into it, clapping and singing. we felt, for a moment, in-communicato with our foreign-tongued neighbours.

saturday we played badminton outside our apartment, then toured wonju on our scooter with our friend Daniel (not the dan belonging to angela) who owns a motorbike. he took us to a coffeehouse in the mountains, then to the streets of wonju where a huge concert was taking place (see korean singer below).

today, we attempted to go to church for the first time, but happened upon the one sunday it wasn't occuring (we will try again next week). so instead, we scootered back to the coffeehouse in the mountains (past korean fishermen and women, basking in fall sunlight beneath their big umbrellas), then climbed a steep mountain to a temple where we prayed and rested (see pictures below). God met us where we were -- as he always does. tonight we plan to do a small bible study with dan and angela. tomorrow we teach, then as of tuesday we're off to Jeju Island with some friends till Saturday (Chusok Holiday). so we'll update you following our holiday! peace.






12 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Guys,

I'm really glad to see and hear how much fun you're having exploring Wonju and Korea. It's good that you live it up! Coudos on the scooter. Sounds like a great purchase! Country life definitely suits you well.
I hope you have a great time on Je-ju! It's a nice place to bike around...
Have Fun!
Sacha

7:18 AM  
Blogger .a. said...

Hey Beautiful!
I love your photos' -- esp. the one's of you with the mountains in the background, no offence Trent =)
I prayed for you this morning, and I hope your holiday is a good one -- and I'm glad to see you're both wearing helmets!
I am so glad that blogs can kep us so 'in touch' with each other, even though we're thousands of miles and hours apart.
You are in my heart! I love you and miss you and will continue praying -- be in touch when you get back.
Love,
A.

8:50 AM  
Blogger Ernest Dow said...

Thanks for sharing your lives with us and for the photos - beautiful. Please take care on the scooter; it looks like a terrific idea, but like ammeeprearl, I'm glad to see the helmets. love you guys, mom & dad D.

1:06 PM  
Blogger ladybug said...

I love your pics! Hope you have lots of fun! :-D

10:01 PM  
Blogger Jelly Beans Gurl said...

It looks beautiful down there and it seems like you are having a blast. You guys look healthy and happy. The food sounds really weird though, and sometimes kind of gross! hehe.
My interview is in Drayton Valley, today at 11:00. I don't think I'm going to take the job since its two hours from the city, but I thought I should go and get some interview experience under my belt. We would only move if it was absolutly the most perfect job. So we'll see. I doubt it though. Love you both.

8:45 AM  
Blogger Keith Dow said...

ooh! red scooter! how fun!
hope you guys get out to church. we miss you lots!

9:15 AM  
Blogger Keith Dow said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:18 AM  
Blogger pink monkey said...

Hi Trent and Em;

You are right, God always meets us where we are .. if we take the time to "be still" and actually listen for His voice and His presence. Reminds me of when we camped with our kids and we would take time out to have our own little "church service." Those were special times together.

The pictures of you both are so lovely! And interesting! Hope you have the best trip on your cute little scooter. Yep, you both look pretty hot on it. ;o)
Eat your heart out, Marge. ;o) You will have to wait your turn to be the best looking on it.

Take care, stay safe, and I look forward to meeting you on this blog again soon.

Love you guys!
Auntie D. and family

8:48 PM  
Blogger pink monkey said...

Hey, Trent, I forgot to say that we will all really really miss you guys at Thanksgiving this year! I mean, who on earth is going to organize the games anyway?
Is there such a holiday there? Probably not.

I know that you both celebrate your thankfulness on a daily basis. And being thankful to God for His care and His faithfulness and goodness to you both in a forein land, so far from home.
I stand amazed at the people He puts on your path. Each one is a Gift of His presence and provision for you and blessings of His grace.

Love you,
Auntie D.

8:59 PM  
Blogger Kathys Blog said...

Despite the poor little camera, the pictures are great. They make me want to hop right in and get a ride on that snazzy scooter for sure. And, oh, to visit a coffee house in the mountains? Awesome. What an awesome experience it is to immerse yourself in another culture.

8:12 AM  
Blogger lani said...

Hi Adventurers,

It is so wonderful to take a peek at your blog. It looks beautiful in Korea. I hope that God will bless all the gorgeous days you spent there. Thank you for being a part of my summer.

I miss you and wish you all the best,
Elani

8:49 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Scooter! Sweet! Matt has one now and we ride it around Summerland. Fun hey? haha, sounds like so much is going on..I'd love having something to do everyday that is ellusive to what I would usually do (or not do)

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home