Tuesday, December 12, 2006

the irony of it all

saint nick must be rolling in his grave. after all, he was a devout Christ-follower. the very beauty of saint nick is the fact that he loved people... and he did this because he was doing as Christ did. giving gifts to the undeserved. i find it so sadly ironic that a holiday birthed by God's Son has been overriden by a man who only wished to honour that baby in a manger.

this christmas, trenton and i are striving to share the good news of Jesus with our students. which brings up another sadly ironic factor: while we are teaching in a 'christian' school, there is no mention of Christ whatsoever in our staff meetings or classrooms.

where oh where has my dear Lord gone?

3 Comments:

Blogger Frank Rizzo said...

hey emily...
not sure what your email address is, so i thought i'd just leave a comment! i had to do a final project for my colour theory class based on a transition from one state to another. I chose to do depression/sadness to joy/happiness. I used some of your paintings as inspiration, and am also glueing your poem, "Fighting Failure" , onto it. I hope you don't mind... I have to submit it tomorrow but I am going to put on the back of the board that my work was inspired by yours. On a side note, I am having fun catching up on your blog and just read the post about your early Christmas! Sounds like fun, and yes - it does sound like you have a great hubby! How awesome is it to get care packages when you are away from home?! We were overjoyed to open our Christmas gifts from home when we were in the Dominican Republic... it meant so much to us! Once I sent a Christmas care package to the Schuster family who are missionaries in Taiwan and they loved it and i just love doing it...

Can i have your address??? I want to send you a Christmas card!

9:05 PM  
Blogger Virginia said...

Hey.... that previous post by "kris" was actually me.... I was just signed in under his name! oops!

9:18 PM  
Blogger .a. said...

Hey girl -- the only thing I can think to offer is that maybe it's up to you guys to bring Him to the table? God uses us everyday, in ways we sometimes don't really comprehend, or are too 'small' for us to think that they matter. I encourage you to step up, even if it's just with some co-workers aside from school. I can't believe Christmas is coming up so fast, it doesn't feel like it at all to me...anyways, I hope you guys are doing well! I miss you, esp. at this time.
BTW - I know Rachel from Heartland - she is a worship leader there, (so J. and I played with her the last couple times before we left) Small world indeed!
Take Care! Love you guys!
A.

12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home