Thursday, March 01, 2007

final day -- panda bears and ipods

zoos should be happy places. sadly, beijing's zoo was not. its cement walls and bare floors housed lonely, shivering animals from worldwide, animals longing to be set free from their cold prison. nevertheless, the panda bears were endearing... one even danced for us (see picture); another climbed up one side of a slide and down the other (i guess no one taught him how to use it properly).

we also came upon some frozen looking monkeys (the weather was rainy and chilly), an elegant camel and some other marvelous creatures like giraffes, zebras, and elephants.

the day concluded with our visiting a local market, where we happened upon some wicked deals. trent and i scored some sweet snowboarding gear (SPYDER-brand snowpants/jackets, gortex gloves and goggles -- all for under $150 CDN), a ping-pong paddle for trenton, an IPOD nano for Emily ($30 CDN!) and some Abercrombie and Finch shirts...

China's the place to shop if you're in the neighbourhood. we're now semi-regretting buying our camera in Japan :(

thus concludes the official agenda of our beijing trip... tomorrow we'll be wandering the city solo (without a tour guide); Saturday it's back to Wonju to plan our lessons. thanks for accompanying us on this journey. we hope you enjoyed the experience! with all of our love...






7 Comments:

Blogger Ernest Dow said...

This time I see the camel - but where's Trent??
Probably a wise decision not to try to ride the antelope, with those horns!

6:09 AM  
Blogger Jelly Beans Gurl said...

That zoo looks so harsh! There are no grass or plants or anything that would be in those animals natural habitat. And I thought the edmonton zoo was bad! I can't beleive that is even legal. Having worked in a zoo, I'm trully appalled. But the pandas are cute.
Congrats on all the cheap gear. Nothing is quite as exciting as finding a good deal!
Love you both

9:05 AM  
Blogger .a. said...

I was like "Weeeeeee" when I saw the panda photos, till I started reading and found out what a horror house the zoo is =(
Sucks, poor little aminals ...
YAY! for cheap stuff, I can't believe you got an iPod for $30! that's insane, (have to add that to the "Stuff" page for NH -- 'go to china for electronics gallore!)
Be safe as you peruse the town on your own -- keep your eyes on the light's (in more ways than one)
Love you both!
Amy

9:39 AM  
Blogger Ryan & Melanie said...

very cute pandas, but definetly not a nice place for them...

thanks for letting me travel vicariously through you:)

love, Mel

1:43 PM  
Blogger meredow said...

Thanks for the panda photos =) I've always wanted to see one for real, so I almost feel like you were on that mission for me!

4:33 PM  
Blogger Dangela said...

Sounds like you two/four had an amazing trip...I like Trent's idea of getting together and sharing photos and stories! Dan and I are thinking of (maybe) going to China this summer... We definitely want to see the Great Wall some day. And the cheap gear sounds tempting too!

5:17 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey guys,

What great memories I have of this trip. It was so nice to spend the week with the two of you! I miss you already. I hope you're enjoying your last few months in Korea. Looking forward to seeing you again!

Love yas,

Sacha

2:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home