Sunday, May 06, 2007

The road less traveled

For the very first time in Korea, we were alone for over an hour. Did not see anyone. Now you might be thinking 'What! they aren't even alone when they go to sleep?' And yes that is true. Every half hour or so, some Korean comes into hour house to use our toaster. They really like toast.

We took the scooter about 10 km out of town to the other side of Chiak Mountain. We started by climbing to this temple. And then we found what I was looking for. About 8 months ago I told Emily that I wanted to see these fortresses, but we didn't know how to get there. But now we do... obviously. It was a difficult one hour steep climb to get there but it was worth it. It was here where we saw no one for those precious 2 hours. I am standing on a wall that circles 2.4 km and was used to defend against the Japenese in 1291 A.D.










I spent a good amount of time trying to read what was chisled into that rock. The loose translation is 'The path to enlightenment is like jam spread on toast. Toast is very good.'








Emily and I had a competition to take a picture of the most buetiful thing we could find.
I took the one of the butterfly.














Here I am coaxing emily back to safety.








Oops, I have to go. There's someone at the door wanting to make some toast.

5 Comments:

Blogger kanadians in korea said...

thanks for saving me babes. :) i still think my frog picture beats your butterfly one :P love u. em.

4:07 AM  
Blogger Jelly Beans Gurl said...

I think the real translation is "The path to enlightenment is like HOMEMADE STRAWBERRY jam spread on toast." And you don't have to thank me for figuring it out. Of course I would know ancient Korean better than you would.
Anyhoo, looks like a cool trip. That frog skeleton is really cool! And wasn't part of the point of going to Korea to spend some time alone together? Hopefully you really did get more than 2 hours of it over there. Its starting to get really warm here, perfect for outdoor sports. We are missing you tons.

8:18 AM  
Blogger .a. said...

Do people really come in and make toast all the time?? That's so weird -- thanks for the fun blog, I have to say, my fav. photo is the frog too.
love you!
a.

5:10 PM  
Blogger kanadians in korea said...

BTW its a lizard not a frog...
And Amy while I apriciate decleration of undying love, but i can't recipricate it to some one who really thinks that people come into our place to make toast. And I'm married to one of your good friends Emily.

Trenton

6:10 PM  
Blogger Ryan & Melanie said...

Hey Em & Trent,

alright, I think I must confess that the lizzard (or frog or whatever;) picture is better;)

Great to hear that you both were able to escape your urban surroundings and enjoy some time alone together:)

love you guys,
Mel

6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home