Thursday, April 26, 2007

Dr. Jekyll Hides -- by Emily

I hide
Not from the dark
But from myself, miniscule, meandering, mind-full
Afraid of what I might do,
Say, think thoughtless thirsty thwarted
Afraid of this monster in my head
Dead to dread, genius, generating germs
This gargantuan hole hellish hidden
Filled with potential
Potent power
I have created a Frankenstein
He appears in my weakness, looming and large
He abides in my stride
Lurks in my shadow, shallow, deep, creep
Whispers “coward” until I cave
To the eerie green light
Some call me bright, a prodigy, a miracle
I call their bluff
My creativity spawns from madness badness sadness
The other side, this dark demonic side
The place I hide from
And in
And cannot live without, drought, no doubt I’m insane
Fear: an unholy terror
Camouflaged in the mundane
A tiny man with a wand who conducts
My daily moves grooves proving to no one I am everything
It’s fear which makes me wane, wanting, weary
“Normal”
Yet I question:
Is it normal to be enslaved to a concept? To a forty-hour work week inside white walls where everyone eats donuts and whispers?
Well, now I’m screaming…

7 Comments:

Blogger .a. said...

Hey girl!
Wow, this is beautiful, gut-wrenching and dark, it totally brings back memories of the 'pre-Korea' emily to me .. (is that weird) just my first impressions...I'm working late tonight ... and You just signed onto MSN ... =)
love you girl! chin up, this world is only a temporary display and we are perishable containers.
a.

9:25 PM  
Blogger Ernest Dow said...

If I were Jungian, I might call it "Dancing with my Shadow" - but as a believer... not quite 'dodging the demonic' (because Holy Spirit helps us) - maybe more 'shining against the darkness'. Like a dark violet background to a painting that brings out the foreground by contrast and stark relief.
Love you oodles anyhow! -Pa

4:22 AM  
Blogger MomDow said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:24 AM  
Blogger MomDow said...

Well it sounds pretty scary for you, if I understood what Dad wrote I'm sure I'd concur - certainly we do love you oodles and this last month can't go soon enough until you come back home.

6:28 AM  
Blogger sparrow anne said...

hi em,

wonderful to drop by again... i'm wrapping up another busy semester and have been thinking "i don't even notice dark and light these days" -- too crammed full of things to do -- but met a woman like a mary magdelene a couple days ago who spoke of both dark and light, and reminded me how very precarious we are and how very powerful our savior.

side note: pls don't worry about a wedding gift -- just come visit when you're able!

love you...

8:33 AM  
Blogger Keith Dow said...

hello picasso eye!

we certainly saw a lot of him over the weekend.

3:32 PM  
Blogger Ryan & Melanie said...

wow em,
this is beautifully written...wow.

mel

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home