Thursday, August 03, 2006

in the silence

tonight we found our reflections in a river. our lives in a still moment surrounded by chirping crickets and smalltown buzz. we're in ontario -- hot, muggy, sooty ontario camouflaged by lucious trees and a million lakes. we're with my parents now, and it's all too apparent how ravaged my mother's become by her own mind. brain cancer: eating away at the memories, feelings and taste buds that drive our days. yet she still smiles. and because of that, so do i. amidst the tears. the angry tears asking why. when those questions come i rush to the river, and find my reflection, and see it waver. remembering even i'm not stable. nothing is, except that which we cannot see.

1 Comments:

Blogger .a. said...

Dear Em,
I read this and cried =)
I can relate (somewhat) -- in a different way -- I went through my Grandmother's illness/fading away into this bizzarre "not-there-ness". (and I know if it was my mother it'd be 10 million times worse) but I did have questions, which I still cannot answer, rest assured though, God is there though it all, and what we cannot see, is more "real" than that which we see all the time. And you're mother is still there too, and her spirit is ALIVE!! Treasure your memories, because in the heart they always stay - and this earth cannot eat them away.
Love you!
Amy
p.s. - what fun would life be if we were "stable" all the time anyways? =)

8:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home